Thursday, June 09, 2005

Short Mountain

There's been a lot going on despite the lack of posts here.

I just returned from Short Mountain Sanctuary in Tennessee where I taught and participated in the yoga gathering. I also got a chance to check out all the construction there including some straw bale work on their "temple" and cob at "project x". dazle built an addition to his place out of adobe block. all of the work is beautiful and inspired me. everyone there commented about how much work it is to build traditionally.

Currently the Design Comet is gathering bids for work on the land. This weekend Bambi and I are meeting with loggers. We have initial estimates for the septic, trench and site work from our excavator. I am working with our engineer to develop final drawings for the septic system and to apply for an Act 250 Amendment.

I've been further researching timber framing and am thinking about putting up some small timber framed sheds as practice, perhaps attending a timberframing workshop. There is a great appeal to me in building simply. I'm not quite sure what it is but perhaps it has to do with learning how to live without all the energy eating appliances in anticipation of the end of oil. Having renovated about 60,000 square feet of commercial space in the last 10 years I feel ready for a change.

4 Comments:

Blogger TackyCat said...

" I've been further researching timber framing and am thinking about putting up some small timber framed sheds as practice, perhaps attending a timberframing workshop. There is a great appeal to me in building simply."

This idea really appeals to me, I'd like to learn more and be involved in building some of these small timber framed structures around Destiny!
I love your BLOG Matt, very cool! I hope I get to see you this summer, either at a gathering or work weekend!
xxoo - JohnnyO
http://tackycat.blogspot.com

2:25 PM EDT  
Blogger Matt Bucy said...

thanks johnnyo! i will post more info about workshops and building exercises as we move along. thanks for your comment.

5:17 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about a timber framed privy? Peat

8:57 PM EDT  
Blogger Matt Bucy said...

I think a timber framed privy is a great idea. It would give us practice for the main building.

11:35 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home